Friday, April 18, 2008

Social Cameras....not going to happen



(http://images.scripting.com/archiveScriptingCom/2007/06/14/dave.jpg)

This guy has an idea to have cameras that can seamlessly share photos with those around them through bluetooth or wifi.

This idea just would just never work in practice. I don't know about you, but I think the photographs I take are personal, and I like the ability to selectively share them with who I want to, when I want to. Some things are not meant to be shared with everyone, or at least not right away, and photographs is one of them. Even with privacy settings this product would still be headed for disaster, as we all know having privacy settings is not a cure-all by any means.

Aside from privacy issues I just think theres no need for the product. First of all, how often do you send picture messages from your camera phone, especially the iphone which already serves this purpose to begin with? Also, there's enough photo-sharing web sites out there that allow you to share your photos quickly and easily, with whom you wish.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree...even though there are a few functions that would be convenient to have, honestly, who really needs them especially when it opens up a whole new issue of privacy. If you want to share a picture, just post them online and share. Its that easy. To me its very creepy for others within a certain radius to have access to my personal pictures.

SteveO said...

yeah i would have to agree and say its a dumb idea.. i dont see the importance level of it and i dont think the photos people take can be that important that they have to instantly be shared.. put them up on facebook or if its that pressing of a photo send a picture message on your phone like you said